Saturday, October 30, 2010

The most delicious lunch

As many of you (whomever is actually reading this), I don't work every other Friday. What I do on those Fridays is sleep late and have a nice leisurely lunch, just as in my glory (unemployed) days of yore. This Friday I was treated to lunch by one of my more successful friends at Michaels on 55th. This is the kind of restaurant that you know is expensive when you walk in. Six waiters were just standing there when we walked in. The art on the walls is original, and Jasper Johns, not the owners wayward daughter. All I said was "I want to stop eating because I don't want to run out of this." It was some of the best fish (Oregon black cod) that I'd ever had, for lunch or for dinner, in NYC or anywhere. On the plus side it is a very NY scene in the best sense of the word. The owner comes around and talks to every table, many of the diners he knows, not only because they are well known in the world, but because they are regulars. So, if you have $70 (no drinks) to blow on lunch, Michaels is the spot I would recommend.

P.S. everyone was unfailingly polite despite the fact that we were the only people not wearing suits and not discussing whether the best way to get to Europe was by private jet or Air France first class.

No comments:

Post a Comment